The cold weather has arrived, and it’s time to get your home ready for the months of harsh conditions that are on the way. Here are five key tasks for winterizing your home.
1. Get your HVAC system inspected: Some things are better left to the experts. Schedule a tune-up with an HVAC professional-they’ll check for carbon monoxide, inspect pipes, clean/change filters, and get your system running more efficiently.
2. Reverse your ceiling fans: Did you know that there are separate settings on your ceiling fan for cool and warm months? You want it to rotate clockwise during the winter. It’ll force the warm air down and keep you comfortable at night.
3. Disconnect all hoses: This is the most common cause of frozen pipes. One way to reduce this risk is by putting your hoses away in the shed or garage for the winter. That way, if someone connects a hose they will hopefully disconnect it to put it back in its place. Also, if you see a hose out of storage it will be a red flag that someone connected it.
4. Keep an emergency kit: A blizzard can quickly leave you stuck at home with roads too dangerous to drive to get food and other supplies, and can even cause power outages. Prepare for the worst by stocking water, non-perishable foods, and plenty of blankets.
5. Clean the gutters: Clogged gutters can fill with ice and cause roof leaks from water damming. Another problem is the gutter can become heavy and rip off, causing other damage.
Give me a call today, I can help find maintenance companies in your area…….. 817-528-9902